Monday, July 27, 2015

This morning I had the unusual assignment of teaching a very low level class. These are usually taught by Chinese staff, but I was assigned it this morning. I don't know why. We have some staff shortages... whatever. I really like the lower levels because they just want to talk, and they are so excited, and they think every thing I say is magical.

Anyway, it's hot in the building so I started off with some idioms about how to say that you're hot. Beginners usually don't get idioms so they thought it was really great, they really got into it.

Then I taught the class. Everybody had a good time.

As the class drew to a close I said, "Whew...I am really hot. What is another way to say that?" And they thought, and they thought.  Finally one brave student said, "You are very sad?"

It was funny at the time. Maybe not so much now.

In the same way, I am sure that at the time it seemed like a good idea to ELCA Bishop Kevin Kanouse to come out of the closet at a recent gathering of ELCA youth. It probably seemed like a great idea... you know, at the time. Kevin Kanouse is the bishop of the Northern Texas-Northern Louisiana area of the ELCA. It's an important job. He has had career success. He has done something with his time on earth. Of course, you know what that means... lots of criticism from those who haven't. 

Another thing is that song, "There's Power In The Blood." I love that song. I don't love that kind of theology, but it's a great tune, none of the notes are too high, and you can just belt it out. I am a little amused, though, with those who like to go around citing it as an example of the very worst kind of theology. If you think that's bad then take a look at the reading for this morning: 

Moses took the blood and dashed it on the people, and said, "See the blood of the covenant that the LORD has made with you in accordance with all these words."
Exodus 24:11

"Woah... He threw blood on them? Couldn't he have just come out of the closet?  Because throwing blood on people, it's so, so, well, so primitive. But, it must have seemed like a good idea at the time.

Almost anything that anyone has ever done could be done better in the imagination of someone sitting on the sidelines. You might have taught my class differently, someone else might come out differently, and, if it had been me, I wouldn't have thrown blood on people. But, then, I a'int no Moses.

Reality based people don't have much time for second-guessing themselves or others. We are busy checking on schools, doing a job, loving our neighbors, learning new things, being good friends... these things take up ALL my time. And that doesn't even include playing my ukulele! I think that if you have time for such in-depth analysis of the actions of other people, maybe you should be like me and get a hobby. That's good and serious advice. Get a hobby. You'll be happier and, frankly, so will the rest of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment