Friday, May 29, 2015

[It] is not enough to pray, Thy kingdom come, but to work, so that the Kingdom of God will exist among us today. – Saint Ursula

We remember Saint Ursula today. She appears to have been a good nun, a leader of her order, but I can't tell what else might be especially saintly about her. You can read it for yourself here.

I wish I believed more of what is in the Bible. In today's readings, for example, the writer is SO sure that his troubles are just temporary and that all will be well in the after life.  "Even though our outer nature is wasting away, our inner nature is being renewed day by day,." he says optimistically. And I almost laughed out loud. If the outer nature is wasting away then it is just wasting away... I don't see any reason to hope that some mysterious and invisible inner nature is being renewed. I mean, think about it, if everybody who was wasting away were actually being magically renewed then at some point everybody would be renewed, a planet of energizer bunnies with new batteries. But that's not how it is, is it? No. The truth is that we just waste away slowly and then we die.

Have a fun day, everybody,.

No comments:

Post a Comment