Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Philippians 4:9
Keep on doing the things that you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, and the God of peace will be with you.

I have often thought that the first two words of this verse were the most important in the New Testament. At some point I want to feel like I am making progress, that I've gotten somewhere on the path. Yet... I don't know... it usually seems like I am going in circles. "Oh, we are here again," could be my theme. But the writer of Philippians told the people there in Phillppi to keep on. There's nothing in there about finding a new spiritual practice, or adding a little yoga or anything like that. Just keep on. It's not worded like that in all the translations and I suspect that a better translation is "Be like me..." But I like the encouragement in this translation. Just keep on. Don't be discouraged. Keep on. 

Also, I think it's fun that Spy Wednesday and April Fools Day are on the same day. I actually love Judas, but on this day he was a trickster... like we all are sometimes.

That's the other thing in the reading this morning... The heart is deceitful. Who can know it? Oh, God knows. That can be both a comfort and a cause for some discomfort. I know which it is for me. I do try to be good, I want to be good. But, only one is good. And when I look at my crafty heart it's pretty clear that it's not me.

I am not too worried, though. I've put all my Easter Eggs in one basket:  Love. If I have been wrong about the nature of God to love and forgive then I'm doomed. But, if I am right then even I have no worries.

All****** time is almost here.

No comments:

Post a Comment